Being a sushi fan , I could not resist trying it out at home , and after I did it became an addicting habit .
I could actually say that homemade sushi is lots of fun to do and eat .The best thing about it is how wonderfully you can customize it to your needs like making it vegetarian or with smoked salmon , tuna , shrimps or caviar.
If you have all the right ingredients and follow the steps carefully ,I promise you are not going to regret it
The key thing for good sushi is to cook the rice well so that it hold together as required ,also having a sharp knife to cut the rolls carefully and precisely or else its going to fall apart and the whole roll will be ruined.
Before I start I would like to ensure that I am not a sushi expert by any means and that I just love to make and eat sushi and share with you my steps to make it as successful as possible.
For the rice:
1) 200 grams sushi rice
2) 200 ml water.
3) 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
4) 1 teaspoon sugar
5) salt and pepper to the taste.
For the rolls:
1) 1 pack of seaweed paper
2) Sliced red bell pepper.
3) Sliced avocado
4) Sliced smoked salmon
5) 100 grams tuna .
6) Soy and wasabi sauces to serve.
1) Wash the rice well before cooking it until the washing water becomes clear and not turbid.
2) In the rice cooker add the rice , water, vinegar, and sugar and leave to cook .
3) Leave the rice to cool and then start making the sushi rolls.
4) Put a thin layer of the cooled rice all over the top of the seaweed paper.
5) At the end of the seaweed paper add put the slices of smoked salmon (great with tuna or caviar also), avocado and pepper ( you can keep it vegetarian by removing the smoked salmon part if you wish).
6) Start rolling the seaweed roll tightly and then when you reach the end damp your finger just a little to ensure they are well closed.
N.B. You can use the bamboo mat to help you roll but i feel its also easy without it.
8) Finally serve with soy sauce or wasabi.
Hope you enjoyed it