Koshary is basically made from rice and lentils cooked together, then topped by pasta ,crispy fried onions and garlic tomato sauce..Some people like to add chickpeas and chili .(totally optional)
Today I felt that I missed the koshary so mush and decided to serve it for lunch and it turned out very flavorful and mouth watering.
So lets jump into the ingredients (serves for 4 people at most.)
1) 2 cups of washed and soaked green lentils.
2) 2 cups of soaked rice.
3) 3 onions sliced.
4) 6 cloves of minced garlic.
5) 1 cup of tomato puree .
6) 5 tablespoons of vegetable oil. ( 2 for the tomato sauce and 3 for the onions)
7) Handful of cooked pasta.
8) Spices: 1 teaspoon cumin, salt and pepper to the taste, chilli is optional
9) 2 cups water
1) First I start by frying the onion slices in 3 tablespoons vegetable oil till they caramelize and turn golden brown.
2) Then take the caramelized onions out of the oil and add the green lentils and rice with the water and leave to cook until all the water evaporates and the rice is well cooked.
3) During that time I prepare the tomato sauce , I add the garlic to 2 tablespoon vegetable oil and leave 1 minute before adding the tomato puree, salt and pepper then I leave to simmer for about 20 minutes.
4) To serve the koshary put the rice and lentils topped by pasta , tomato sauce and finally the caramelized crispy onions.